I knew this whole blogging thing would get the best of me :) I think about posting an update often, but never seem to get around to it! Everytime I get on here I end up reading other blogs instead. So prepare yourself... this one could be long! We've got some catching up to do!
The whole month of May has really been a blur. We've been so busy with a million different things... doctor visits, traveling out of town to visit family and friends, and then finishing up the school year. Man has it all flown by... I thought as you aged that time was supposed to slow down, not speed up?!?
The thing that has taken up the majority of our time though has been all the doctor visits... but at least we finally have some answers to our fertility issues! At the end of April we went for our first appointment with Dr. Kathleen Doody (Reproductive Endocrinologist) at the Center for Assisted Reproduction. That appointment resulted in what felt like endless testing... for both Travis and I. One of the first tests that Dr. Kathy did on me was to test my ovarian reserve... the results of this test were really discouraging. It turns out that I have a significantly lower ovarian reserve than the average 40 something year old woman (0.8% is normal for a 40 something and mine is 0.3%), and this apparently is a result of all the years of severe damage caused by the Endometriosis. Bummer. And unfortuantely, the bad news didn't really stop at my results... Travis's sperm morphology test (how his swimmers are shaped) came back abnormal as well. A lot of his boys have curved tails, and get this... two heads!!! So with my low egg supply and quality, and his abnormally shaped sperm, it makes it really difficult for the egg to become fertilized. So there you go... a double whammy explaination... in which there is no cure for :( Neither condition can be reversed or fixed. However, in spite of all the test results, Dr. Kathy is optimistic at us being able to concieve... through in-vitro fertilization. We officially start our IVF cycle at the end of June, and hope to have good news at the end of July. In the meantime, I will be finishing up the school year and then fully embracing the laziness of summer! I will have no excuse not to blog the IVF journey, so check back soon for more frequent updates! Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment