So yesterday was one of the three big days (egg retrieval, embryo transfer, and pregnancy test) in IVF... the egg retrieval. We had to be at the clinic at 7:45 to begin all the pre-op procedures and then about 9:00 they wheeled me back so Dr. Kathy could begin. I don't remember anything from the actual procedure, which is totally fine with me considering how it's done! An ultrasound guided needle is inserted through the vaginal wall to drain all of the follicles on each ovary. See what I mean? :)
After the retrieval I was taken to recovery where I stayed for about 30-45 minutes. During this time, one of the nurses gave me a preliminary egg report... 6 eggs. Tears immediately began flowing from my eyes. I wanted so badly for them to have found more... more eggs = better chances. My sweet husband came back and did his best to comfort and console me... bless his heart. I don't know how he puts up with his emotional wreck of a wife. Once the nurse removed my IV we got to go and meet with one of the embryologists to get the official egg count. It turns out they found 10!!! Yay! Other than being able to tell us that the eggs were intact and that they would use the ICSI fertilization process (they inject the sperm into the egg), that's all she knew. We would have to wait until Friday to get any other information.
And that leads us to this morning... out of the 10 eggs they retrieved, 8 were mature. And out of the 8 injected with sperm, 7 of them fertilized. This is definitely good news! Now we just need our 7 little embryos to behave and develop like they are suppose to :) We won't get another update on the development of the embryos until Sunday, so please keep praying and sending good positive thoughts our way! The rule of thumb is that about half of all fertilized eggs actually develop properly and are able to be transferred or frozen, but we of course are going to hope for the very best. Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment